Tomato and egg stir fry（番茄炒蛋） is a simple dish and an everyday staple for Chinese families. There are lots of different visions out there. Today, I am going to show you how to make this yummy dish with three simple ingredients: eggs, tomatoes, and green onions.
Do you know that there is no cuisine that is more popular than a tomato and egg stir fry? If you really need a straightforward way to prepare a Chinese-inspired dish, a stir-fry like this is the perfect option.
Chinese tomato and egg stir fry is a great way for you to enjoy the seasonal taste of tomatoes. The dish is colorful and savory, and the combination of the two flavors is a delicious delight. The tomatoes are cooked in a generous amount of oil until they are soft and cooked thoroughly, and the eggs add a creamy texture to the dish.
I still remember the old days, with my busy college life in England, I made this dish often due to the fact it’s so fast to cook, and inexpensive too. It kept me feeling energized and focused throughout the day. The colors are bright, the flavors are delicious, and it has always been my top choice of easy meal recipe.
If you are looking for a healthy, nutritious meal that you can quickly make at home, this dish is a great option.
Tomato and Egg Stir Fry: Step by Step Instruction
Lastly, use the green part of the green onion as a garnish.
Tomato and Egg Stir Fry
- 5 tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- 2 green onions
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- ⅔ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (optional)
- Cut up the tomato into small wedges and set aside, remove the stems.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper and pinch of sesame oil to the egg mixture. If you don’t like sesame oil, you can leave it out.
- Pour 3 tablespoon of oil into a wok in high heat and wait until the oil turns hot. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the wok, turn the heat down to medium, and heat and slowly swirl your spatula to mix the egg. Wait until the egg has barely turned solid. Place the egg on a plate and aside.
- Pour another tablespoon of oil in the wok at medium heat. Putin green onions until fragrant or about 10-15 seconds. Add tomato wedges into the wok and stir frequently. Wait until the tomato wedges turn mushy, then pour in the cooked eggs and mix again for about 1 minute.
- Add ⅔ cup of broth or water into the wok and turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer until the dish texture has reduced and reached the desired texture.
- Lastly, use the green part of the green onion as a garnish.
- Serve with steamed white rice .Enjoy!