Korean purple rice, also known as "Heukmi Bap," is a striking dish with a beautiful purple hue and a delightful nutty flavor. This dish combines two types of rice, including short-grain white rice and nutrient-packed black rice, to achieve the perfect balance of texture and flavor. The cooking preparation involves rinsing and soaking the grains before cooking. The result is a fragrant, slightly nutty, and chewy rice that offers a delicious taste to your everyday meals.
In this blog post, I'll explore an easy-to-follow recipe to make this gorgeous Korean purple rice using a rice cooker. Read on for more!
Plain white rice: White short grain rice tends to be chewier and more tender when cooked, providing a pleasant and desirable taste.
Korean purple rice: It is also called black rice" or "forbidden rice," which is a type of whole grain rice with a deep purple hue. This is a non-glutinous short-grain rice that has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture when cooked. It is commonly used in mixed rice dishes or on its own. Unlike regular white rice, black rice is a whole grain that retains its bran layer, providing additional fiber and nutrients. Keep in mind to add a small amount of black rice to this recipe. You can get it in most Asian markets.
Water: If you use a rice cooker, combine 1 part white rice with about 1 part water. Follow the instructions on your rice cooker for the specific type of rice you have.
Instructions for rice cooker
Measure the right amount of white rice and purple rice.
Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear to remove excess starch.
Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes to an hour. This step helps improve the texture of the rice.
Drain both different types of soaked rice and add it to your rice cooker. The combination of white and black/purple rice imparts a beautiful color to the dish.
Pour water into the rice cooker's instructions. You can add water according to the recommended water ratio for your rice cooker.
Cook the rice according to the rice cooker's instructions until fully cooked.
Once cooked, let the rice sit for a few minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
Enjoy your Korean purple rice with various Korean dishes or as a side dish to complement your main dish!
Instructions for instant pot
Same as the rice cooker method, rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
In the Instant Pot, combine the rinsed rice and water. Set the Instant Pot to the manual pressure cook setting and cook for the time that is recommended.
Allow natural release for optimal maximum texture and flavor.
Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Tips and tricks
- Soak the rice for a few minutes before cooking to enhance the overall texture. It allows the rice to absorb moisture. Do not skip the rice soak step.
- Experiment with the ratio of black rice to achieve the desired shades of rice for the best result.:) You can even substitute the white rice with wild rice or brown rice.
- To enhance the flavor, consider adding a small amount of sesame oil or roasted sesame seeds during the cooking process.
- After the rice cooker indicates that the rice is done, let it rest with the lid on for an additional 10-15 minutes. This helps the rice finish steaming and become fluffier.
- When the rice is done, fluff it gently with a fork rather than stirring. This helps maintain the individual grains and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky.
Some simple serving suggestions for Korean purple rice
Here are some simple serving suggestions:
Side dish with vegetables: Serve Korean purple rice as a side dish alongside various cooked or stir fry vegetables. Consider vegetables like broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, or bok choy for a colorful and nutritious combination.
Protein: Complement the purple rice with your choice of protein. Grilled or roasted chicken, beef, tofu, or fish can be seasoned with Korean flavors such as soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
Kimchi: Pair the purple rice with traditional Korean side dishes like kimchi. The spicy and fermented flavors of kimchi can add a vibrant kick to the meal.
Sesame seeds and nori: Sprinkle roasted sesame seeds over the purple rice for added crunch and flavor. You can also consider wrapping small portions of rice in roasted seaweed (nori) for a tasty bite.
Soup or stew base: Use Korean purple rice as a base for Korean soups or stews. The purple rice can absorb the flavorful broth for extra flavors.
Salad component: Mixing Korean purple rice into salads, or add black beans together to make a healthy rice bowl!
Long to short, Korean purple rice is versatile and can be a great addition to a variety of dishes.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or safe containers to preserve freshness. It can typically last for about 4-6 days. It's important to refrigerate the rice promptly after it has cooled to room temperature.
If you want to extend the storage time, you can freeze cooked black rice. Place it in an airtight container or a heavy-duty freezer bag. It is good for up to six months to a year. However, for the best quality, it is better to consume it within the first few months.
This Korean purple rice recipe is one of my favorite rice recipes, and I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I like to make it! Give this easy Korean purple rice recipe a try, and let me know how it goes. Happy cooking!
Korean Purple Rice Recipe (Easy Rice Cooker Version)
- 2 cups short-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon black rice
- 2 cups water
- Measure the right amount of white rice and purple rice.
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear to remove excess starch.
- Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes to an hour. This step helps improve the texture of the rice.
- Drain both different types of soaked rice and add it to your rice cooker. The combination of white and black/purple rice imparts a beautiful color to the dish.
- Pour water into the rice cooker's instructions. You can add water according to the recommended water ratio for your rice cooker.
- Cook the rice according to the rice cooker's instructions until fully cooked.
- Once cooked, let the rice sit for a few minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
- Enjoy your Korean purple rice with various Korean dishes or as a side dish to complement your main dish!