Have you ever tried ground beef stir-fry with celery before? It is an easy quick stir fry dish with two simple ingredients. It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, cooked in one wok, you can use a skillet too, it is super easy and delicious.
Stir-fries are fun. After all, tossing your favorite ingredients in a blistering wok can only result in colorful and flavorful dishes. Although you can make a stir-fry with your favorite proteins and veggies, some combinations simply stand out.
Here’s my recipe for ground beef stir-fry with celery, and there’s more going on in this wholesome meal than it appears. I still remember my grandmother used to make this for me when I was little. For a quick and easy Chinese-inspired meal that’s ideal for a weeknight family meal.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need ground beef, which is exciting, considering most Chinese stir-fries rely on beef strips or cubes — ground beef gets infused with flavor much easier and is kid friendly since it is easy to chew.
You’ll also need sliced celery for added crunch and the following condiments: oyster sauce, soy sauce and Shaoxing cooking wine. The Shaoxing cooking wine will give the stir-fry depth and flavor complexity, but you can always add a couple slices of red pepper if you prefer a spicy version of it. A pinch of chili pepper flakes works the same way.
Alternatively, add fermented black beans for a heartier meal. Actually, I used Oyster sauce to substitute the fermented black bean in this recipe, because oyster sauce is all I had at the time. If you are using the fermented black beans, don’t forget to cut back on the salt a little.
Stir-fries are a cornerstone of Chinese cooking, and although the result is always delicious, these are some of the easiest dishes to make in the Chinese repertoire. As with every stir-fry, feel free to add your favorite veggies beside celery which will shine with this recipe!
- 4 fresh celery stalks, sliced
- 1 pound ground hamburger or any other type of ground meat
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoon Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon Fermented black bean sauce optional
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar you can skip this since I personally prefer a sweeter taste😊)
- a few slices red pepper for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in a wok. When the wok is hot, add green onion, ginger, and garlic until fragrant and they turn slightly brown. About 30 seconds.
- Slowly stir in the ground beef in and break it apart with a wooden spoon, then add the Shaoxing cooking wine, until cooked through, about10 minutes. Drain the stir fry to get any excess liquid from the ground beef.
- Add the celery slices to the meat mixture and cook until the celery turns soft, about 5 minutes.
- It’s time to add the sauces. Toss in soy sauce, oyster sauce, and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes, salt and pepper to taste. Add a few slices of red pepper for garnish.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!