How to eat dim sum chicken feet? Dim Sum Chicken Feet is a popular traditional Chinese dish made from chicken feet that are marinated, steamed, and served with a delicious sauce. While the idea of eating chicken feet might seem unappealing to some, Dim Sum Chicken Feet is a beloved delicacy in many parts of Asia and the United States. It is a staple in virtually every dim sum restaurant. Despite its popularity, many people need clarification about how to eat it.
What is chicken feet dim sum?
Before trying Dim Sum Chicken Feet, it is important to learn what the dish is andcontains to prepare for the experience.
Dim Sum refers to a Chinese cuisine style. It consists of bite-sized portions of food served on small plates or bamboo steamer baskets. Dim Sum Chicken Feet is also known as Phoenix Claws. It is a popular dish typically served as part of a dim sum meal. It is usually marinated in a tasty mix of dark soy sauce, ginger, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, star anise, and other seasonings, which give it a savory flavor and aroma. Some Dim Sum Phoenix Talons variations may also include other sauce ingredients like chili peppers, green onions, spring onions, garlic, and black bean sauce.
What does dim sum chicken feet taste like?
Dim Sum Chicken Feet have a unique flavor and golden brown texture that may be unfamiliar if you have never tried them. The cartilage and skin on the feet are gelatinous and soft, while the tiny bones are crunchy and hard. The dish is typically seasoned with a delicious sauce, black beans, etc., giving it a savory flavor with a slightly salty and sweet undertone.
Are chicken feet digestible?
Yes, chicken feet are digestible and safe for consumption. The high levels of collagen and connective tissue found in chicken feet are beneficial for digestion and can help to support healthy skin and joints. While it may seem unappetizing to some people, Dim Sum Chicken Feet are a common dish in many cuisines and cultures around the globe. It is certainly worth trying if you are open to new culinary experiences.
Can you eat chicken feet bones?
Eating Dim Sum Chicken Feet bones is not recommended. This is because they are hard and can pose a choking hazard. When enjoying deep-fried chicken feet, you should nibble the cartilage and skin off the bones and discard the bones safely.
How to eat chicken feet dim sum
For dim sum chicken feet newbies, eating this dish might feel intimidating. However, with some practice, anyone can learn to enjoy it. These detailed instructions will help:
- Pick up the chicken foot with chopsticks. Hold the foot in place with one chopstick and use the other chopstick to remove the cartilage and skin from the bones. You can use your hands if you don’t want to use chopsticks.
- The next step is to nibble the surface of the chicken feet gently. ( i.e., the cartilage and skin off the bones). Take your time and savor each bite, as this part is gelatinous and soft and has the most taste of chicken feet.
- Once you have removed all the cartilage and skin, you will be left with the bones. Place them on the side of your plate. Don’t try to eat the bones.
Some tips and recommendations when eating chicken feet
Here are some tips and recommendations to make your Dim Sum Chicken Feet eating experience more enjoyable:
- Take Small Bites: The distinct texture of Dim Sum Chicken Feet can take some getting used to. It is recommended that you take small bites and savor the taste with small pieces. In this way, you will also avoid being overwhelmed.
- Use Chopsticks: While you can eat the delicious chicken feet with your hands, using chopsticks makes the process easier as you can navigate the cartilage and skin more easily.
- Discard the Bones: The bones in chicken feet are unsafe for human consumption and can pose a choking hazard, so it’s a good idea.
- Dip in Sauce: Dim Sum Chicken Feet are usually served with a delicious dipping sauce made from ginger slices, light soy sauce, and other ingredients. For an enhanced experience, dip the chicken feet in the sauce while eating.
- Enjoy With Tea: Dim Sum is traditionally enjoyed with tea. It enhances the food’s flavor.
How to store dim sum chicken feet
Store the braised chicken feet leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge. Chicken feet stored this way should be consumed within 2-3 days. Before eating, thoroughly reheat the dish so it’s safe to consume.
Eating Dim Sum Chicken Feet is a unique culinary experience many people in Asian countries enjoy. While there are guidelines to enrich the experience, it is important to note that there is no definite best way or graceful way to eat dim sum staples like this. Some people take their time and eat one toe at a time, while others consume the entire foot. No matter what you prefer, keep the above-listed three-step process and recommendations in mind.
Chicken feet may seem intimidating or off-putting to some. But with the right preparation, they can be an enjoyable and interesting addition to your diet. So why not give chicken feet a chance and find exciting new ways to enjoy the humble chicken feet?