Watermelon ice cream recipe is a frozen dessert made with the flavor and essence of watermelon. It typically has a creamy texture and a sweet, refreshing taste reminiscent of fresh watermelon. This delightful frozen treat simply combines the sweetness of ripe watermelon with creamy goodness, making it a perfect dessert for hot summer days. It's super easy to make and requires only two ingredients. In this post, I will show you how to make it without an ice cream maker. Read on!
Frozen watermelon cubes: Watermelon has a high water content, and freezing it can help reduce the water content, preventing the ice cream from becoming too icy. This step is especially useful when making a no-churn watermelon ice cream recipe. Freezing watermelon can intensify its natural sweetness and flavor. Keep in mind to remove the watermelon seeds before you put fresh watermelon into the freezer.
Sweet condensed milk: Using sweetened condensed milk to make ice cream is a popular method for making no-churn ice cream. No-churn ice cream is a simple and easy way to create homemade ice cream without the need for a traditional ice cream maker. The sweetened condensed milk helps sweeten the ice cream and gives it a creamy texture without needing an ice cream maker or churning. You can also use coconut milk or almond milk if you prefer a slightly thinner consistency.
Lime juice: optional.
How to make watermelon ice cream
Put the fresh watermelon cubes into the freezer for 2-3 hours or overnight. Place the diced watermelon and sweet condensed milk in a blender or electric mixer and blend until smooth. Once the ice cream has reached a soft-serve consistency, you can either serve it immediately or transfer it to a sealed container and freeze it for a few hours to firm up.
If you choose to freeze the ice cream, make sure to remove it from the freezer and let it soften for a few minutes before serving. Scoop the watermelon ice cream into bowls or cones or use it as a topping for other desserts, and enjoy! Feel free to customize the recipe by adding ingredients, such as mini chocolate chips, mint leaves, or even small watermelon chunks for added texture and flavor.
Here are some pro tips to enhance your watermelon ice cream-making experience:
- For the best taste, select a ripe watermelon that is sweet and juicy. This will ensure that your ice cream has a vibrant watermelon flavor.
- If you prefer a smoother ice cream texture without small watermelon bits, strain the watermelon puree through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any pulp.
- Watermelon sweetness can vary, so taste the mixture before churning and adjust the amount of condensed milk accordingly. Add a little at a time until it reaches your desired level of sweetness.
- Watermelon can sometimes be overly sweet. Add a small amount of fresh lime juice(or lemon juice) to the mixture to balance the sweetness.
- If you decide to freeze the ice cream for a few hours to firm it up, cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to making delicious and refreshing watermelon ice cream.
Watermelon nutrition facts
Watermelon is a delicious and hydrating fruit that offers various nutritional benefits. It is low in calories and contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Watermelon is also a low-calorie fruit, making it a great option for those watching their calorie intake while still enjoying a sweet treat. As the name suggests, watermelon has a high water content, making it an excellent choice for staying hydrated.Overall, watermelon is a perfect and healthy fruit that you can enjoy as ice cream!
Homemade watermelon ice cream is best enjoyed within a few weeks. While eating for an extended period will be safe, its texture and flavor might start deleting after several weeks in the freezer. You can transfer the freshly churned watermelon ice cream into a lidded, airtight container or a ziploc bag. Before putting the lid on the container, press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream. This will help create a barrier between the ice cream and the air, minimizing the chance of freezer burn. Avoid taking the ice cream out of the freezer frequently, as this can cause forming ice crystals and affect the quality of the ice cream.
There are also other fun ideas to store this watermelon ice cream, such as adding them into popsicle molds or ice cube trays.
This easy watermelon ice cream recipe made with just two simple ingredients is a delicious summer treat that's both healthy and satisfying. So, next time you have a juicy watermelon on hand, don't hesitate to whip up this delightful watermelon ice cream for a cooling and taste of summer!
Easy Watermelon Ice Cream (Two Ingredients)
- 6 cups watermelon
- 1 cup sweet condensed milk
- Put the fresh watermelon cubes into the freezer for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Place the diced watermelon and sweet condensed milk in a blender or electric mixer and blend until smooth.
- Once the ice cream has reached a soft-serve consistency, you can either serve it immediately or transfer it to a sealed container and freeze it for a few hours to firm up. If you choose to freeze the ice cream, make sure to remove it from the freezer and let it soften for a few minutes before serving.
- Scoop the watermelon ice cream into bowls or cones, and enjoy!